Those who love On Clouds shoes must understand the importance of keeping them clean and in good shape. As we all know, if we maintain our shoes then they will give us long-lasting performance.
Since these shoes are made from unique materials and construction, cleaning them requires special attention. If you just finished a muddy trail run or your On Clouds needs a clean, then explore how to clean on cloud shoes to keep them looking new.
Table of Contents
- Can you wash On Cloud shoes?
- Different Ways To Clean On Cloud Shoes
- Tools For Cleaning Cloud Shoes
- How to Prep Your Shoes Before Cleaning
- Does On Cloud have waterproof shoes?
- How To Clean On Cloud Shoes In The Washing Machine
- How to Clean On Cloud Shoes by Hand?
- How to clean Cloud Shoes using Baking soda
- Using Spot Cleaning
- Rub Down Method
- Using Sneaker Cleaning Products
- Parts Of On Cloud Shoes And Kits To Clean Them
- How Do You Clean Mesh Shoes?
- How Do You Keep Cloud Shoes From Smelling?
- How often should you replace On Cloud shoes?
- How long do On Cloud shoes last?
- Does On Cloud Shoes Have Waterproof Shoes?
Can you wash On Cloud shoes?
Yes, you can wash On Cloud shoes. The cleaning process should be done carefully to keep them durable and comfortable. You can also clean your On Cloud Shoes by machine or hand washing.
However, mild soap and warm water is recommended when you hand wash your shoes.
Different Ways To Clean On Cloud Shoes
You don’t have to worry if you don’t know how to clean your Cloud Shoes because there are several methods you can use. I always recommended these 3 ways to clean your Cloud shoes:
- Hand Washing: This is the most recommended method. After a run where the shoe has become dirty, use a shoe brush (an old toothbrush works perfectly) to clean the shoes. It removes the heaviest dirt. Use warm water and mild soap for hand washing. Scrub any trouble spots with a soft bristle brush.
- Machine Washing: If your shoes are dirty, you can clean them off with cold or warm water before washing them. Choose a delicate cycle with cold water on your machine. Put laundry detergent or liquid detergent in the detergent dispenser. It’s also recommended to place the shoes in a mesh laundry bag to protect them.
- Using Baking Soda: To clean your On Cloud shoes with baking soda, start by sprinkling plain baking soda inside them. Shake the shoes well to spread the baking soda evenly. Then, place them in the washing machine.
Tools For Cleaning Cloud Shoes
Before Cleaning the shoes, you have to gather the necessary items. These tools are-
- Shoe Brush or Old Toothbrush: This removes heavy dirt buildup from the shoes.
- Mild Soap or Detergent: It’s important to use mild soap or detergent to prevent shoe damage during washing.
- Laundry Bags: If you go for machine washing, laundry bags can protect your shoes during the cleaning.
- Towels: These are handy for blotting excess water from the shoes after washing.
- Baking Soda: This common household item can deodorize your shoes.
- Warm Water: Warm water is used for hand washing the shoes.
- Soft-Bristled Brush: A soft-bristled brush can scrub off stubborn stains on the shoes.
How to Prep Your Shoes Before Cleaning
Prepping your shoes for a clean is essential to ensure they come out clean without getting damaged. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to prepare your shoes for cleaning:
Clean the Outsoles of Your On Cloud Shoes
- Check if the dirt is dry or wet. If it’s wet, wait for it to dry.
- Over a garbage basket, bang your On Cloud shoes together to remove loose dirt.
- Use a soft brush or an old toothbrush to remove the remaining dirt.
- Create a soap and water solution and dip your brush into it to scrub the soles.
- For any stubborn stains on the fabric, gently scrub in a slow, light circular motion.
Remove and Clean the Insoles The insoles can often harbor unpleasant odors due to sweat. They may also contain dust and mud particles. Here’s how to clean them:
- Take the insoles out of your shoes.
- Mix a cleaning solution of detergent and water.
- Soak the insoles in this solution.
- Scrub the insoles using a soft-bristle brush.
- Rinse them with clean water.
- Allow them to air dry on a flat surface.
Remove and Clean the Laces
- Remove the laces from your shoes.
- Create a cleaning solution using baking soda, white vinegar, water, and mild liquid soap.
- Soak your laces in this mixture for one hour.
- To prevent tangling in the washing machine, place the laces in a mesh bag or a pillowcase before tossing them in with your shoes.
Does On Cloud have waterproof shoes?
Yes, On Cloud does offer waterproof versions of some of their shoes. They use their own technology called “On Membrane” which is windproof and waterproof.
How To Clean On Cloud Shoes In The Washing Machine
When you’re ready to clean your On Cloud shoes, here’s a step-by-step guide:
1. Prepare Your Shoes: Start by taking off the laces and insoles from your On Cloud shoes. This is to prevent any damage during the cleaning process. To deal with any odors, sprinkle some baking soda inside each shoe.
2. Brush Off Loose Dirt: Use a soft brush to gently remove any loose dirt or debris from your shoes. Pay close attention to the areas around the soles and in between different parts of the shoe.
3. Secure Shoes in Mesh Bag or Pillowcase: To protect your shoes during the wash, put each shoe in a separate mesh laundry bag or pillowcase. This keeps them from banging against each other and causing damage.
4. Set Wash Cycle: In your washing machine, select a delicate cycle with cold water. Add a small amount of mild detergent and set an extra rinse cycle to make sure all the detergent is thoroughly removed.
5. Inspect and Repeat if Necessary: Once the wash cycle is done, check your shoes. If they’re still dirty, especially if you have white On Clouds, you might need to repeat the cleaning process.
6. Air Dry: After cleaning, gently blot any excess water with a towel, and then let your shoes air dry in a well-ventilated area. You can also stuff the shoes with towels to help absorb moisture and maintain their shape while they dry.
How to Clean On Cloud Shoes by Hand?
To clean your On Cloud shoes by hand, follow these easy steps. First, get rid of any dry dirt using an old toothbrush or a cloth. If the dirt is wet, let it dry before moving on. Then, take out the laces and insoles. You can clean them separately with a mixture of baking soda and vinegar.
Now, prepare a tub or sink with warm (not too hot) water. Add some detergent to make soapy water. Put your On Cloud shoes in this soapy mix and let them soak for at least an hour. After the soak, use a cloth dipped in soapy water to gently scrub the shoes. Focus on any really dirty parts. If there are tough stains or hard-to-reach spots, a toothbrush can help.
Once you finish scrubbing, rinse the shoes under cold running water. Don’t use high-pressure water, as it might damage your shoes. To dry them, gently squeeze out extra water and stuff them with newspaper. Leave them in a well-ventilated room to air-dry. Avoid using a dryer since it can harm the inner soles of your On Cloud shoes. This hand-cleaning method will keep your On Cloud shoes clean and in good shape.
How to clean Cloud Shoes using Baking soda
Here’s how the process based on information I’ve gathered from various sources to wash your shoes with baking soda:
- Prepare Your Cleaning Solution: Mix one tablespoon of hot water, one tablespoon of white vinegar, and one tablespoon of baking soda to form a paste.
- Apply the Mixture: Using an old toothbrush, apply the paste to your shoes in a circular motion.
- Let it Sit: Leave the shoes to air for several hours.
- Brush Off the Dried Paste: Once the paste has dried, brush and shake it off.
This technique works well for white shoes and is suitable for colored and leather shoes too. Baking soda is gentle and helps make your shoes whiter without harming the rubber, glue, or fabric. So, you can use this method as often as needed to maintain your shoes in great shape.
Using Spot Cleaning
Spot cleaning is an excellent method for maintaining the cleanliness of your On Cloud shoes, especially when they have small stains or spots that need attention. Here’s a guide on how to spot-clean your shoes:
- Prepare your cleaning solution by mixing a small amount of mild detergent with warm water. If you have a specialized shoe cleaner, you can use that instead.
- Dip a clean cloth or sponge into your cleaning solution, then wring out the excess water.
- Gently dab the stained area on your shoe with a damp cloth or sponge. Be careful not to scrub too hard, which might damage the shoe’s material.
- Rinse off the soap residue from your cleaned area using a clean, damp cloth.
- Pat the cleaned area dry with a towel, then let it air dry completely.
Rub Down Method
You have dirty shoes after running a whole day. And you want to clean it without washing it. In that case, you can follow the rub-down method below.
Make sure your shoes are completely dry before you start the cleaning process. Use a dry brush to remove any loose dirt or debris from the surface of the shoes. Mix a small amount of mild detergent with warm water. Dip a clean cloth into the solution, then wring out the excess water.
Gently rub the damp cloth all over the surface of your shoes. Pay special attention to any stained or soiled areas. Rinse the cloth under clean water, wring out the excess, and then use it to wipe off the soap from the shoes. Finally, pat the shoes dry with a towel and leave them to air dry.
Using Sneaker Cleaning Products
Utilizing sneaker cleaning products is a great way to keep your On Cloud shoes in the best condition. Here’s how you can do it:
- Buy a sneaker cleaning kit: These kits usually come with a specialized cleaner, a brush, and sometimes a spray protector.
- Remove loose dirt: Before applying any product, remove any loose dirt or debris from your shoes using a dry brush.
- Apply the cleaning solution: Follow the instructions on the cleaner. Usually, you’ll need to dampen your brush, apply some cleaner to it, and then scrub your shoes.
- Scrub your shoes: Use the brush to scrub your shoes gently. Make sure to clean all areas, including the soles and fabric parts.
- Wipe clean: Using a damp cloth to remove the cleaning solution from your shoes after scrubbing.
- Dry your shoes: Let your shoes air dry in a well-ventilated area. Avoid placing them under direct sunlight or near a heater, as this can damage the material.
- Apply a protector: If your kit includes a protector spray, apply it according to the instructions. This will help shield your shoes from future stains and dirt.
Remember always to follow the instructions provided with your sneaker cleaning products, as some may require different application methods.
Parts Of On Cloud Shoes And Kits To Clean Them
On Cloud shoes comprise various parts requiring specific care and cleaning methods. Here are the main parts of an On Cloud shoe and the recommended kits or tools for cleaning them:
- Upper: This is the top part of the shoe that covers the foot. It’s usually made of breathable mesh material. A soft brush and mild detergent are often enough to clean this part. For deep stains, a specialized sneaker cleaning solution can be used.
- Insole: This is the interior bottom part of the shoe where your foot rests. Insoles can often be removed and cleaned separately. Use a soft brush and soapy water, or consider an insole cleaning spray for a deeper clean.
- Midsole: An inner and outer layer that provides cushioning and shock absorption. Midsoles can be cleaned using a medium-bristled brush, a mild detergent, or a dedicated midsole cleaner for stubborn stains.
- Outsole: Usually, the bottom part of the shoe is in direct contact with the ground. It often collects dirt. A stiff brush and soapy water can remove most grime, but a sole brightening solution might be necessary for tough stains or marks.
- Laces: Laces can attract a lot of dirt and can be cleaned by removing them from the shoes and soaking them in soapy water. A lace cleaning solution can also be used for heavily soiled laces.
As for the cleaning kits, there are many products, such as:
- Jason Markk Essential Kit: This kit includes a 4 oz. Premium Shoe Cleaner and Standard Shoe Cleaning Brush, perfect for any type of sneaker material, including mesh.
- Crep Protect Cure Shoe Cleaning Travel Kit: The Crep kit is designed with travel in mind and includes a premium brush, cleaning solution, and microfiber cloth.
- Sof Sole Instant Cleaner Kit: This foaming cleaner is designed to remove tough dirt and stains from athletic shoes, making it a good choice for On Cloud shoes.
- Pink Miracle Shoe Cleaner Kit: This is an all-in-one kit that works on all types of shoes. It comes with a cleaner and a brush.
How Do You Clean Mesh Shoes?
Keeping your mesh shoes clean involves regular maintenance and careful cleaning. Start with regular dusting using a soft-bristled brush to remove loose dust and dirt from the surface. This helps prevent the buildup of grime, making deeper cleaning easier.
It is recommended to clean by hand. Avoid using the washing machine as it can cause damage to the sensitive mesh material.
If you must use a washing machine, protect the shoes by placing them in a mesh laundry bag or pillowcase and set the machine to a gentle cycle with cold water.
How Do You Keep Cloud Shoes From Smelling?
You can prevent unpleasant odors from developing in your On Cloud Shoes by taking proper care and preventative measures.
- Dry Properly: Let your shoes air and dry before storing them to prevent bacteria growth.
- Use Water-Repellent Spray: This can protect your shoes from moisture, a common cause of bad smells.
- Use Baking Soda or Shoe Deodorizers: These can absorb odors, keeping your shoes smelling fresh.
How often should you replace On Cloud shoes?
On Cloud recommends replacing their shoes every 300-500 miles or roughly every six months, depending on usage.
How long do On Cloud shoes last?
The lifespan of On Cloud shoes largely depends on usage, but typically they last between 300-500 miles of running.
Does On Cloud Shoes Have Waterproof Shoes?
Yes, On Cloud does manufacture waterproof shoes, including models like the Cloud Waterproof, Cloudventure Waterproof, and Cloudrock Waterproof.
On Cloud shoes have fast become my preferred choice for running. This shoe offers you unparalleled comfort and support. But you gotta make sure it stays clean. The process of cleaning On Cloud shoes is easy. At first, I was hesitant to use the washer for cleaning. But after several washes, I got them fresh as new.
I have provided many cleaning processes above. I hope that you will get your shoes new by following those steps. Thanks for reading how to clean on cloud shoes.
Check out these related articles:
Can I dry my On Cloud shoes?
Yes, you can dry your On Cloud shoes but avoid using a machine dryer. Instead, let them air dry in a well-ventilated area.
Why does everyone wear On Cloud shoes?
On Cloud shoes are popular due to their unique Cloudtec cushioning technology, lightweight design, and stylish appearance. They are also known for their comfort and versatility.
Are Air Jordan 1 waterproof?
No, Air Jordan 1s are not inherently waterproof. However, you can apply a water repellent spray to help protect them from water damage.
Is it OK to wash shoes with water?
Yes, it’s generally okay to wash shoes with water, especially if the manufacturer’s instructions allow it. However, it’s best to avoid soaking leather or suede shoes as it can damage them.
What shoes to wear on rainy days?
Waterproof or water-resistant shoes are ideal for rainy days. These could include rubber rain boots, waterproof sneakers, or water-resistant leather boots.
Can Nikes get wet?
Yes, most Nike shoes can get wet without being damaged. However, it’s still best to avoid excessive water exposure to maintain the longevity of the shoes.
Can On Cloud shoes be washed in a washing machine?
While some people have successfully machine-washed their On Cloud shoes, it’s generally recommended to hand wash them to avoid potential damage.