Nurses, doctors, and others who wear scrubs understand the importance of comfortable, supportive footwear. It is important to choose shoes that match the hospital’s professional aesthetic and withstand its demanding environment.
So, what shoes to wear with scrubs?
After long research, I’ve collected a list of the most recent and appropriate shoe styles to pair with scrubs.
You can choose from Crocs, clogs, loafers, slip-on sneakers, and athletic shoes with orthotic inserts. Each option brings a unique balance of comfort, support, and style to complement your scrubs perfectly.
So, you’ve got plenty of shoes to wear with scrubs.
Table of Contents
Why is it Important To Wear The Right Types of Shoes With Scrubs?
As a healthcare professional, your daily routine often involves long hours of walking, standing and even running in some emergencies. Therefore, wearing the right shoes with scrubs is not just about style but comfort, safety, and overall health.
- Comfort: Properly fitted shoes eliminate fatigue and discomfort during long shifts. Good arch support and cushioning can prevent foot pain and conditions like plantar fasciitis.
- Safety: Hospital floors can be unexpectedly slippery due to spills. Non-slip shoes can help prevent falls and accidents.
- Hygiene: In a hospital environment, cleanliness is necessary. Healthcare settings require easy-to-clean and disinfected shoes.
- Posture and Alignment: Correct footwear promotes better posture and alignment. It reduces strain on your lower back, hips, and knees.
What are the best shoes to wear with scrubs in terms of comfort and style?
Choosing the right shoes to wear with scrubs is all about balancing comfort and style. Many healthcare professionals lean towards tennis shoes or slip-on clogs, as they provide extra cushioning for their feet.
Prioritize lightweight, breathable sneakers that offer slip resistance to avoid mishaps.
10 Best Shoes To Wear With Scrubs
Scrub shoes must provide comfort and durability. Feeling uncomfortable during a long shift or having shoes lasting up to two weeks is not fun! Here are some shoes that are comfortable and durable when worn with scrubs:
Resident Heritage Canvas
The Resident Heritage Canvas shoes are celebrated for their blend of style and comfort. It features a Heritage Canvas upper perfect for indoor and outdoor use. Besides, these shoes boast a custom outsole with enhanced traction. It ensures a secure grip and makes them perfect for healthcare professionals looking for reliable footwear for long shifts.
- Lightweight: Canvas shoes are typically light, which provides comfort for all-day wear.
- Breathable: The material allows for excellent airflow, keeping your feet cool and dry.
- Versatile: Canvas shoes can be worn with different outfits and for various occasions.
- Material: Made primarily of canvas, often with rubber soles for grip and comfort.
- Design: Canvas shoes come in various designs, from solid colors to patterns, fitting both casual and semi-formal settings.
- Comfort: They are comfortable for long periods of wear.
- Easy to Clean: Canvas shoes can usually be spot-cleaned or machine-washed.
- Affordable: They are typically less expensive than leather shoes.
- Durability: Canvas is less durable than other materials and may wear out faster, especially with heavy use.
- Weather Resistance: Canvas shoes don’t fare well in wet conditions and provide little insulation in cold weather.
Skechers GOwalk 5
These shoes feature ULTRA GOTM cushioning offering lightweight, responsive cushioning and COMFORT PILLAR TECHNOLOGY, providing high-rebound comfort. They also feature an Air-Cooled Goga Mat™ insole for additional support.
- Material: Depending on the model, these shoes come with a durable synthetic or knit mesh upper.
- Design: They have a sleek, streamlined design suitable for casual and professional wear.
- Technology: These shoes incorporate ULTRA GOTM cushioning and COMFORT PILLAR TECHNOLOGYTM underfoot. Goga MatTM insoles offer breathability and high-rebound cushioning.
- Comfort: The advanced cushioning technologies provide superior comfort for all-day wear.
- Lightweight: These shoes are light, reducing foot fatigue during long shifts.
- Breathability: The Air-Cooled Goga Mat™ insole helps keep feet cool and dry.
- Size: Some users have reported they run a bit small, so you might need to size up.
- Durability: While generally well-made, some users have noted they may wear out quicker with heavy use.
Adidas PUREMOTION ADAPT 2.0
Adidas PUREMOTION ADAPT 2.0 shoes are applauded for their sleek, modern design and adaptability. They offer a snug fit with its stretchy mesh upper. The Cloudfoam midsole provides superior cushioning.
- Material: These shoes feature a durable, stretchy mesh upper, ensuring a secure and adjustable fit.
- Design: These shoes feature a contemporary slip-on design that looks great with casual and professional outfits.
- Technology: Cloudfoam is used in the shoe’s midsole to provide enhanced cushioning and comfort.
- Comfort: The Cloudfoam midsole provides superior cushioning, ideal for long shifts.
- Versatility: The modern, slip-on design makes these shoes versatile for various occasions.
- Fit: The stretchy mesh upper ensures a snug and comfortable fit.
- Size: As with many sports shoes, sizing can be inconsistent, making it necessary to try on multiple sizes.
- Breathability: These shoes provide some breathability but may not be as airy as other options.
Vans AUTHENTIC SHOE
The Vans Authentic shoes are characterized by their durable canvas upper and robust rubber waffle outsole. The low-top silhouette and minimalistic design make them versatile to pair with almost any outfit.
- Material: These shoes feature a sturdy, comfortable, long-lasting canvas upper.
- Design: Vans Authentic shoes maintain a simple, low-profile design, available in many colors and patterns to suit individual style preferences.
- Outsole: The shoe’s signature rubber waffle outsole provides excellent grip and durability.
- Versatility: These shoes can be worn with various outfits, from casual jeans to more tailored pieces.
- Durability: The robust canvas upper and rubber waffle outsole ensure these shoes withstand daily wear and tear.
- Comfort: Despite their simple design, Vans Authentic shoes offer ample comfort for everyday wear.
- Size: Some users have reported that Vans Authentic shoes can run a bit large, so it might be beneficial to try on a pair before purchasing.
- Minimal Cushioning: These shoes offer less cushioning or support than athletic shoes.
Adidas Grand Court Shoes
Adidas Grand Court Shoes are well recognized for their classic, vintage-inspired silhouette and comfort. The durable leather upper is a defining feature, complemented by Adidas’ iconic 3-Stripes design.
- Material: These shoes have a synthetic leather upper for durability and a textile lining for comfort.
- Design: Drawing inspiration from the classic Adidas tennis shoes, Grand Court shoes carry a vintage yet timeless appeal.
- Technology: The shoes incorporate a Cloudfoam Comfort sock liner, ensuring superior cushioning and foot comfort.
- Comfort: The Cloudfoam Comfort sock liner provides exceptional underfoot comfort, suitable for prolonged wear.
- Versatility: With their clean and classic design, these shoes can be paired with many outfits.
- Durability: The synthetic leather upper ensures the shoes withstand daily wear and tear.
- Size: Some users have reported that the shoes run a bit large, so it might be beneficial to try on a pair before purchasing.
- Breathability: While the synthetic leather upper offers durability, it may provide less breathability than other materials like mesh or knit fabric.
APL Women’s TechLoom Breeze
APL Women’s TechLoom Breeze is known for its innovative TechLoom technology that molds to your foot for added comfort and performance. It’s also the lightest APL running shoe ever, weighing 6.8 oz in a Women’s size 7.5.
- Material: These shoes are made using no animal products, making them 100% vegan.
- Design: The TechLoom Breeze has a sleek, streamlined aesthetic in various color options.
- Technology: They feature a durable rubber outsole with a forefoot crash pad and Propelium® traction pattern.
- Comfort: With TechLoom technology, the shoes conform to your foot for enhanced comfort.
- Lightweight: As the lightest APL running shoe, they reduce foot fatigue during prolonged wear.
- Vegan-friendly: These shoes are made without any animal products.
- Price: APL shoes tend to be on the pricier side compared to other running shoes.
- Availability: Some users have reported limited availability in certain sizes and colors.
Scholl’s Madison Slip-On Sneaker
Scholl’s Madison Slip-On Sneaker is widely appreciated for its style, comfort, and sustainability blend. This versatile shoe is designed with an easy slip-on fit, making it an ideal choice for everyday wear.
- Sustainably Crafted: Dr. Scholl’s Madison Slip-On Sneaker features soft linings and microsuedes made from recycled bottles.
- Materials: The shoe is constructed from faux leather, fabric, or microfiber, also sourced from recycled materials. This gives it a comfortable yet durable finish.
- Fit: It has a casual slip-on fit, a padded collar, and twin stretch gore panels, ensuring easy wear and a snug fit.
- Comfort Technology: The shoe is equipped with Dr. Scholl’s Insole Technology that offers anatomical cushioning, providing superior comfort throughout the day.
- Comfort: The anatomical cushioning ensures your feet stay comfortable, even during long periods of wear.
- Sustainability: Using materials like recycled bottles for their linings and microsuedes makes these shoes more environmentally friendly.
- Versatility: With their sleek design, these shoes can be paired effortlessly with different outfits.
- Size: Some users have reported that the sizing can be a bit off, so it might be beneficial to try them on before purchasing.
- Durability: While generally well-made, some users have noted that they may not be as durable as comparable sneakers.
ASICS Gel Resolution 8
Asics Gel Resolution 8 tennis shoes are renowned for their responsive stride and close-to-court feel. It’s a shoe that combines comfort, stability, and durability, making it a preferred choice for many tennis players.
- Material: The shoe features a FLEXION FIT® upper that supports form-fitting, enhancing your foot’s natural movements.
- Technology: DYNAWALLTM technology provides added midfoot stability during lateral movements.
- Design: Its close-to-the-court feeling gives you an edge in your game.
- Comfort: FLEXION FIT® upper molds to your foot for a comfortable fit.
- Stability: DYNAWALLTM technology provides excellent lateral stability.
- Durability: The shoe is built to last, even under the extreme conditions of a tennis match.
- Price: Compared to other tennis shoes, the Gel Resolution 8 can be on the higher price spectrum.
- Weight: Some users might find the shoe slightly heavy, which could impact speed during play.
New Balance Fresh Foam 1080 V10
It is renowned for its plush cushioning and comfortable fit. It’s a high-mileage neutral trainer designed for runners seeking maximum protection and a fairly firm ride.
- Material: Hypoknit Upper provides flexibility and support in strategic areas.
- Design: Fresh Foam 1080 V10 has a snug, supportive Ultra Heel design.
- Technology: Fresh Foam cushioning provides a responsive, lightweight ride.
- Comfort: Long-distance runners will appreciate the Fresh Foam cushioning and Ultra Heel design.
- Support: Hypoknit upper provides strategic stretch and support.
- Durability: These shoes are built to last, making them a good investment for regular runners.
- Price: The Fresh Foam 1080 V10 is on the higher end of the price spectrum for running shoes.
- Weight: Some users might find the shoe slightly heavy, which could impact speed during running.
Rockport Men’s Sl2 Bike So Loafer
Rockport Men’s Sl2 Bike So Loafer is recognized for its professional look and premium comfort. These shoes are suitable for office wear and formal occasions.
- Material: Crafted with a leather upper, the shoe offers durability while maintaining an elegant aesthetic.
- Design: A square toe and a small amount of elastic at the top and side of the shoe ensure a comfortable fit for this slip-on.
- Comfort: Lightweight and very comfortable for all-day office wear.
- Comfort: With its leather construction and elastic joint, the shoe offers a comfortable fit for prolonged wear.
- Versatility: Its professional look makes it suitable for various settings – from office environments to formal occasions.
- Lightweight: Users have appreciated its lightweight, which contributes to overall comfort.
- Size: Some users have reported that the shoe runs a bit big, so it might be beneficial to try on a pair before purchasing.
- Break-in Period: The shoes may need a couple of days to fully break in, as reported by some users.
Things Should Consider When Buying Shoes To Wear With Scrubs
Before buying shoes to wear with scrubs, consider the facts below.
- Focus on the comfort of the shoes.
- Shoes should fit well without feeling tight.
- Pick a style that works for your lifestyle.
- Consider if you want the extra support of sneakers or the more professional look of slip-on shoes.
- Look for durable materials with thick rubber soles for longer wear and rubber outsoles with traction to prevent slipping.
- Ensure the material is breathable, such as mesh or leather, so your feet stay cool and dry all day.
- Pay attention to the arch support level of the shoe, as incorrect arch support can cause lower back and leg strain.
Which Type Of Shoes Should You Avoid?
It is important to wear comfortable, supportive footwear that sticks to safety guidelines in the workplace. Here are some types of shoes or sneakers for scrubs you should avoid:
- Open-toe Shoes or Sandals: These do not provide the necessary protection in a medical environment with a risk of falling objects or spills. They also don’t meet most workplace safety standards.
- High Heels: Although fashionable, high heels do not fit well for long shifts of standing or walking. They lack the necessary support, and can lead to foot pain or injuries.
- Slippery Shoes: Any shoe without a good grip should be avoided. In a fast-paced environment like a hospital, having non-slip shoes can prevent accidents.
- Uncomfortable or Ill-fitting Shoes: Shoes that pinch, rub, or don’t fit correctly can cause discomfort, blisters, and other foot problems.
- Shoes with Laces: Shoes with laces are not strictly prohibited, but if they come undone often, they can pose a tripping hazard. If you choose lace-up shoes, ensure the laces are secured properly.
Always choose comfortable shoes that offer good arch support, are non-slip, and protect your feet. Options like clogs, athletic shoes, or professional slip-on shoes are often popular for those wearing scrubs.
How to clean your scrubs and shoes?
Properly cleaning your scrub shoes is essential for maintaining hygiene and extending their lifespan. Here are some steps you can follow:
- Remove Excess Dirt: Before washing, remove excess dirt from the shoes by gently brushing with a soft-bristled brush.
- Prepare a Cleaning Solution: Mix warm water with mild detergent to create a cleaning solution. Do not use harsh chemicals that could damage the material of the shoes.
- Scrub the Shoes: Gently scrub the shoes with the cleaning solution. Pay extra attention to stained areas.
- Rinse: After scrubbing, rinse the shoes thoroughly with clean water.
- Disinfect: If required, use a disinfectant spray suitable for shoes to eliminate lingering bacteria or viruses.
- Dry: Let the shoe air dry in a well-ventilated area. Place them away from direct sunlight or a heat source, as this could warp the shape of the shoes.
- Freshen Up: To keep your shoes smelling fresh, use baking soda or a shoe deodorizer.
You should always check the manufacturer’s instructions before cleaning your shoes. Some materials may not be suitable for certain cleaning methods.
The ideal shoes should provide comfort, support, and safety. Maintain a professional appearance while fulfilling workplace dress code requirements.
Go for shoes with good arch support and cushioning to reduce the stress on your feet. It is important for safety in a medical environment where spills and slippery floors are common to have non-slip soles.
Remember, every person’s feet are different, so what works best for one might not work for another. It’s always a good idea to try on several styles and brands until you find the right one for you.
FAQs – Shoes to Wear with Scrubs
What type of shoes should I wear with scrubs?
Scrub shoes should be comfortable, supportive, and easy to clean. A fast-paced environment like healthcare demands non-slip soles. The most popular footwear options are clogs, athletic sneakers, and slip-on.
Can I wear open-toe shoes or sandals with scrubs?
No! It’s generally not recommended to wear open-toe shoes or sandals in a healthcare setting due to safety and hygiene concerns. Closed-toe shoes offer better protection against spills or falling objects.
How often should I clean my scrub shoes?
The frequency depends on the work environment and how dirty the shoes get. However, cleaning them at least once a week is a good habit to maintain hygiene standards.
Should I have more than one pair of scrub shoes?
Yes, having more than one pair allows you to rotate them, Allhallows pair to dry out and air properly between wears. This can also prolong the lifespan of your shoes.
How can I keep my scrub shoes smelling fresh?
Regular cleaning is key to keeping your shoes fresh. Additionally, consider using baking soda or a shoe deodorizer. Allow your shoes to air out between wears.
Can I wear high heels with scrubs?
High heels are generally not advisable for long shifts that require standing and walking for a long time. They also lack the necessary support which can lead to foot pain or injuries.
Do I need to wear socks with my scrub shoes?
Yes, wearing socks can provide extra comfort, reduce foot sweat, and prevent blisters. Choose breathable, moisture-wicking socks for the best results.
Is there a specific color of shoes I should wear with scrubs?
No! The color usually depends on the dress code of your workplace. Some healthcare facilities require white or black shoes, while others may allow any color.