When selecting the best running shoes for concrete, It is important to keep a few factors in mind. First and foremost, determine which type of runner you are. If your stride is heavy on heel striking, then be sure to choose shoes with extra cushioning and support.
Further, identify how often you will run on concrete. Your footwear must be specifically designed for this unique environment. After deciding on the features you’re looking for in a shoe, it’s time to consider your budget.
Fortunately, quality running shoes don’t have to come at an extravagant price – several models offer optimal performance when running on concrete! I’ve researched and reviewed some of the best options available, so you don’t have to do all the hard work. Read the article for more information!
Table of Contents
The challenges of running on concrete
- Concrete is an extremely hard, inflexible surface with little cushioning or shock absorption. You may experience pain, fatigue, and injury over time due to a lot of impact on your feet, legs, and joints.
- When you land on concrete, your feet may roll inward too much, which can lead to overpronation. You may feel discomfort and potential injury due to additional strain on your knees and ankles.
- It would help if you had your shoes absorb a lot of impact when you run on concrete to prevent injuries. They must also provide stability and support to prevent your feet and ankles from rolling or twisting excessively.
A list of key features you should look for in concrete running shoes
- Cushioning: It is important to have adequate cushioning in shoes when running on concrete to reduce each step’s impact. Air pockets, gel, or foam can be used to achieve this, and they should be strategically placed in the shoe’s heel, midsole, and forefoot areas.
- Support: Foot instability and overpronation can be prevented with the proper support. Extra support and stability will be provided where needed by features such as arch support, heel counters, and medial posts.
- Durability: A concrete surface is very hard and abrasive, so running shoes should be made of durable materials. Choose shoes with durable rubber outsoles and uppers that withstand wear and tear.
Which Shoes Are Best for Running on Concrete?
There is no universally correct answer regarding finding the ideal running shoes. Instead, you’ll want to consider various elements like your foot type and gait and the ground you plan to travel.
For example, you should choose shoes that offer superior shock absorption if you are walking on concrete. This will help to protect your feet and ankles from the impact of hard surfaces.
Moreover, you’ll want a deep-sole shoe to provide concrete traction. Wet concrete can be incredibly slippery, so choosing a shoe that will help you stay safe on your run is important. There are a variety of great running shoes on the market designed for concrete surfaces, so take the time to find the perfect pair for you.
So if you’re looking for the best running shoes for concrete, look no further. We’ve compiled a list of the top shoes that will make your runs easy and comfortable.
Asics Gel Quantum 180
The Best Running Shoes For Concrete should be comfortable, stylish, and affordable. Asics Gel Quantum 180 checks all the boxes.
It offers value for money because of its stylish look and highly comfortable design. This shoe is formed with mesh and synthetic leather paneling that creates a contemporary aesthetic. It also features 180 degrees of GEL technology cushioning in the midsole for improved comfort.
The Asics Gel Quantum 180’s outsole on various surfaces is durable rubber that provides long-lasting wear and excellent traction. You won’t be disappointed if you try Asics Gel Quantum 180.
Advantages of Asics Gel Quantum 180
The Asics Gel Quantum 180 running shoes offer many advantages to users.
- Their gel cushioning system absorbs impact and reduces foot and leg stress, providing lasting comfort.
- Aside from being versatile, they can also be used for many activities.
- It has a well-cushioned sole that absorbs shock and provides excellent support.
- The shoes are also extremely supportive, with a reinforced heel and extra padding in the toe area.
- They are also affordable.
- You can choose from different colors and designs to match your style.
Potential Downside of Asics Gel Quantum 180
- One potential disadvantage of the Asics Gel Quantum 180 running shoes is the tight toe box. This can cause discomfort for some users, particularly if they have wide feet.
Brooks Ghost 14
Upgrade your run with the Brooks Ghost 14. Ideal for road running, this lightweight shoe offers unparalleled cushioning and a customized fit thanks to its DNA LOFT midsole and 3D Fit Print upper. Furthermore, it provides extra softness every step of the way for a smoother ride! To top it off, 37% recycled materials have been used in constructing its upper.
So you’ll make an eco-friendly statement while going further faster. Choose from a selection of stylish shades perfect for any outfit or occasion! Those seeking the best running shoes for comfortable, stylish, and environmentally friendly concrete should consider the Brooks Ghost 14.
Advantages of Brooks Ghost 14
The Brooks Ghost 14 can be your best running shoes for concrete by many reasons—
- Brooks Ghost 14 is exceptionally comfortable!
- Brooks Ghost 14s ride is smooth and stable, even on light trails.
- The Ghost 14 is also lightweight and breathable.
- Brooks Ghost 14 is great for longevity.
- The grip is excellent, making them perfect for any surface.
Potential Downside of Brooks Ghost 14
- One issue is that they lack breathability, making them uncomfortable to wear on hot summer days.
- There are better choices for long-distance running, as they tend to cause foot fatigue after several miles.
Saucony Endorphin Speed 2
Reach peak performance with the Saucony Endorphin Speed 2 running shoe. Its PWRRUN PB cushioning provides a supportive and responsive ride, while an integrated nylon plate facilitates natural stride flexibility. Put your best foot forward – get ready to run faster!
Plus, with features such as its lightweight mono-mesh upper design and durable XT-900 outsole providing excellent traction, you can’t go wrong with this versatile footwear choice! Endorphin Speed 2 is a great choice for hitting the gym, long runs, or some speed work.
Advantages of Saucony Endorphin Speed 2
- The Saucony Endorphin Speed 2 is a versatile running shoe with several advantages for runners of all levels.
- Brooks Saucony Endorphin Speed 2 comes with a lightweight design. The shoe weighs just 7.4 ounces.
- The Endorphin Speed 2 is also highly breathable.
- High-speed running is made more accessible with the Endorphin Speed 2’s smooth rockered transitions.
- Dual-density midsoles and lace locks provide great lockdown as well.
- Two pairs of laces are included (one white and one black), and runners can customize their look.
- Endorphin Speed 2 is more flexible than carbon-plated shoes, making transitioning from heel to toe easier.
- It also features reflective detail for safety during night runs.
- And with a heel pull tab and easy-on lacing system, the Endorphin Speed 2 is easy to put on and take off.
Potential Downside of Saucony Endorphin Speed 2
- A learning curve exists when using them if you are not used to heeling, striking, or running at slower paces.
- The shoes can be slippery on wet surfaces, making them better for running in wet conditions.
Asics Novablast 3
The Novablast 3 is the perfect shoe for any runner. It offers superior comfort and performance, and its eye-catching design draws inspiration from geometric origami and provides excellent support. With such an impressive combination of style and function, this sneaker will have you running in no time!
So not only will you look great when running, but your feet won’t suffer either! Feel calm and comfortable, even on the longest runs, with a Jacquard mesh upper that helps to keep your feet breathable. The AHAR outsole provides improved durability, while its gusseted tongue and wing fit system enhance midfoot support.
This product meets your style standards. You can feel confident in its environmental friendliness as 75% of the primary upper material is crafted from recycled materials.
Advantages of Asics Novablast 3
- Despite its bouncy feel, the foam is still cushioned.
- Light and airy mesh uppers provide good ventilation.
- Furthermore, the shoe’s grippy outsole and locked-in fit make it ideal for cornering.
- You never have to adjust the tongue while running because it stays in place.
- It has a durable outsole that resists wear and tear.
So if you’re looking for the best running shoes for concrete, the Asics Novablast 3 can be a perfect choice.
Potential Downside of Asics Novablast 3
- This can make it challenging to find the perfect fit and lead to blisters and chafing.
- Some other options on the market are more expensive than the Novablast 3.
Nike Epic React Flyknit
A modern-looking shoe made of Flyknit material for optimal lightweight support, the shoes have received varying reviews. Many individuals love them, while others find it uncomfortable. I am determined to experience these remarkable shoes and form my opinion about their quality.
At first glance, the Nike Epic React Flyknit was its sleek design and overall sophistication. In comparison to other running shoes, these stand out for sure! Though the lightweight Flyknit fabric provides more support than I ever expected, they look great.
However, they were uncomfortable to wear at first. My feet felt constricted, and the soles felt too thin. After wearing them for a while, though, I got used to them, and they started to feel more comfortable. Overall, the Nike Epic React Flyknit is the best running shoe for concrete with good looking and lightweight design.
Advantages of Nike Epic React Flyknit
Here are six advantages of the Nike Epic React Flyknit:
- A major advantage of Epic React Flyknit is its responsiveness.
- The Flyknit upper and foam cushioning create a very comfortable running experience.
- Another benefit of the Flyknit upper is its supportiveness.
- It features enough toe room for those with wider feet.
- You can secure your foot in place while running with the Epic React Flyknit’s lacing system.
- At just 8 ounces, the Epic React Flyknit is one of the lightest running shoes on the market today.
Potential Downside of Nike Epic React Flyknit
- One issue is the crazy heel shelf- many runners have found that the heel of the shoe is overly raised, which can cause instability.
- Another downside is that the upper is quite open, meaning debris can quickly enter the shoe and cause discomfort.
- Some people have found that the arch support is too strong, resulting in pain and fatigue.
- It may not be possible for some people to afford shoes.
Overall, the Nike Epic React Flyknit is a good shoe, but it is important to know its potential drawbacks. Despite this downside, it can be your ideal running shoes.
HOKA ONE ONE Bondi 7
Feel confident running with the HOKA ONE ONE Bondi 7. One of the world’s most popular running shoes thanks to its full-length EVA foam midsole, which absorbs impact. As you go about your day, airy mesh fabric covers the sneaker’s upper for maximum breathability. A thick sole gives the sneaker extra cushioning and stability.
Featuring a solid rubber outsole and an ergonomic design, the Bondi 7 provides optimal comfort with ample support. There are several stores near you and online where you can find this shoe in a wide selection of colors and sizes.
Suppose you’re looking for a versatile running shoe that can ride smoothly on any surface. In that case, the HOKA ONE ONE Bondi 7 is an excellent option.
Advantages of HOKA One One Bondi 7
- First, the shoes provide next-level comfort with their soft, cushioned soles.
- Lockdown means the shoes fit snugly and securely around the feet.
- Moreover, the HOKA ONE ONE BONDI 7s are breathable.
- A stable shoe provides runners with balance and support.
- They also have a fantastic grip on roads and light trails.
- As a result of their cushioned soles, these shoes are great for heel strikers.
Consequently, the HOKA ONE BONDI 7s is a great option for road runners who want a versatile and comfortable shoe.
Potential Downside of HOKA One One Bondi 7
- The shoes can feel big and heavy on your feet, making them less than ideal for long-distance runs.
- Also, when it comes to road running shoes, Bondi 7s are pricey.
Despite these drawbacks, the Bondi 7 can be your best running shoes for concrete. For runners willing to pay a little extra, the Bondi 7 offers a high-quality option.
Saucony Triumph 19
Saucony Triumph 19 is the ultimate running shoe. Its optimal flexibility and traction make it ideal for running on the road and trails. You’ll gain comfort and support during your training sessions with the PWRRUN+ midsole, which provides energizing cushioning.
And if speed is what you seek, RUNDRY collar lining decreases friction. It ensures a more aerodynamic stride at every step! When you want to log some serious miles or enjoy a leisurely run, look for Saucony Triumph 19.
Advantages of Saucony Triumph 19
- Triumph 19 provides an exceptionally smooth ride.
- It features a newly designed upper that is both light and breathable.
- The shoe’s lace toggle system allows runners to quickly and easily adjust their laces mid-run.
- It has excellent traction on all surfaces.
- A wide range of sizes and widths are available in Triumph 19, making it easy to find a perfect fit.
With so many advantages, it’s no wonder that the Saucony Triumph 19 is one of the best running shoes for concrete on the market today.
Potential Downside of Saucony Triumph 19
- One issue is that the shoe is less breathable than other models, which can be problematic for runners sweating excessively.
- It can feel less responsive during long runs due to its weight.
- The shoe’s heel cup is less supportive than some other models.
ASICS Gel-Cumulus 20
All levels of runners will have a comfortable, responsive ride with the ASICS Gel-Cumulus 20 running shoes. The footwear is equipped with cutting-edge technology, such as ASICS GEL cushioning in the forefoot and heel that reduces impact and absorbs stress.
Furthermore, the shoes have a unique Trusstic system that adds little weight while supplying support and stability.
In the end, you get a supportive shoe that is also cozy, which makes it perfect for long runs or competitions. The Gel-Cumulus 20 offers a comprehensive feature list and a stylish, contemporary style that will draw attention.
So if you’re looking for a new pair of everyday road running shoes, the ASICS Gel-Cumulus 20 may be an excellent choice.
Advantages of ASICS Gel-Cumulus 20
- The cushioned sole provides a comfortable ride and helps to absorb impact.
- The arch support helps to prevent pain and injury.
- The snug fit prevents blisters and chafing.
- The wide range of sizes and widths ensures a good fit for all runners.
- The ASICS Gel-Cumulus 20 is available at a reasonable price point.
Potential Downside of ASICS Gel-Cumulus 20
- One issue is that the shoes may be too narrow for some people, which can cause discomfort.
- The shoes may not provide enough support for people with high arches or flat feet.
- The shoes may not be as durable as some other models.
Mizuno Wave Creation 20
A high-performance running shoe made for neutral runners is the Mizuno Wave Creation 20. The heel of the shoe has a Mizuno Wave plate, which reduces impact and guards against stress damage to the foot.
This shoe’s outsole has rubber traction pods for durability, and the midsole is made of lightweight EVA foam. Mizuno Wave Creation 20’s outsole consists of Pebax Rnew, a flexible and long-lasting material. The Wave Creation 20 is offered in both male and female sizes and several hues. The Mizuno Wave Creation 20 can remain on your list of the top running shoes for outdoor use.
Advantages of Mizuno Wave Creation 20
- Wave Creation 20 provides excellent support and cushioning.
- Most ideal running shoes for long-distance running.
- This shoe has a special “wave” design that helps to dissipate impact forces, reducing the risk of injury.
- Mizuno Wave Creation 20 is extremely lightweight, making it easier to run faster.
- They are designed to provide a natural fit that helps to improve comfort and performance.
Potential Downside of Mizuno Wave Creation 20
- Wave Creation 20 is less breathable than some other shoes, which means your feet may get uncomfortably hot during extended use.
- Mizuno Wave Creation 20 is more expensive than other running shoes on the market.
Saucony Endorphin Speed
Each step feels snug and comfortable with Saucony Endorphin Speed. Its rubber outsole provides ample traction on all surfaces. At the same time, the breathable mesh upper keeps your feet feeling cool and dry throughout your run.
Moreover, the insole can be removed or replaced with a custom orthotic insert if needed. With sizes designed specifically for men’s and women’s needs and four different widths available, these shoes will offer something perfect for everyone! Not only that, but they come in two classic colors: black & white – making them stylish yet practical!
Overall, Saucony Endorphin Speed is a high-quality racing shoe with superior comfort, support, and traction. It is an excellent choice for competitive road runners looking for a shoe to help them perform at their best.
Advantages of Saucony Endorphin Speed
Here are five advantages of Endorphin Speed:
- The Endorphin Speed is highly lightweight, weighing in at just 7.9 ounces.
- With its “Speed Roll” technology, the shoe provides a smooth, energy-efficient ride.
- The Endorphin Speed has a comfortable fit that hugs the foot without being too tight.
- Its outsole is made from durable rubber that can withstand any terrain.
- The Endorphin Speed is available in both men’s and women’s sizes.
If you simply want to try something different, I think the Saucony Endorphin Speed is worth checking out.
Potential Downside of Saucony Endorphin Speed
- It is very lightweight and has a very stiff sole, making it difficult to run in for extended periods.
- The Endorphin Speed could have a better grip on wet surfaces.
Things You Should Keep In Mind When Buying Shoes for Concrete
If you plan to run mainly on concrete, you should consider a few things while shopping for running shoes. You need a shoe with decent cushioning first.
Because concrete is such a hard surface, you need footwear that will at least partially cushion the impact. The second thing you need is a shoe with high traction. This will lessen the likelihood of slips and falls on the concrete’s slick surface.
And finally, a sturdy shoe is what you want. Choose shoes that are made to last because running on concrete can be hard on your footwear. With these considerations in mind, you can be sure to locate the ideal pair of footwear for your upcoming run.
How Can You Avoid Injury When Running on Concrete?
Running is a great way to exercise and enjoy the outdoors, but it’s essential to be aware of the risks involved. One of those risks is injuries, which can occur more quickly on hard surfaces like concrete. There are a few precautions you should take when running on concrete to avoid injury:
- Make sure you wear the best running shoes for concrete or hard surfaces. Running shoes should have good cushioning to absorb the impact of each step.
- It’s important to warm up before you start running. A few minutes of light Walking or jogging will prepare your muscles for the workout ahead.
- Be careful not to overdo it.
Start with a moderate pace and mileage, gradually increasing as you get more comfortable. By following these tips, you can enjoy running on concrete without putting your body at risk. If you are uncomfortable running on concrete, you could run on grass or a soft surface instead. It is a good idea to check out Best Shoes For Running On Grass.
I have the perfect shoes for those of you suffering from joint pain and distress due to running on concrete! After thoroughly testing many running shoes on hard surfaces, I recommend ASICS GEL-Quantum 180 Running Shoes as my top pick.
These chic sneakers provide cushioning and stability with their unique design, available in various colors and sizes. You won’t regret choosing this reliable option that will bring relief from your discomfort when pounding the pavement!
Have any other pairs caught your eye? Leave us a comment below so we can all benefit from your experience too!